Category Archives: Community

Kommein Launches: A New Community Manager Resource

Deb Ng, of the well known Freelance Writing Jobs and I have launched a new blog called Kommein. It will be used for both of us to talk about community management and becoming and succeeding as a Community Manager.

We have already published a dozen posts on the topic ranging from the definition of a Community Manager to our own personal insights. We hope to extend this blog out over the next year into the number one resource for Community Managers, and community development and management in general.

I am very excited to be working with Deb on this project, and hope that you will all take a look and let me know what you think.

Originally posted on December 22, 2008 @ 4:56 pm

WordCamp Toronto’s Hash Tag Hilarity

Great story about WordCamp Toronto 2008. My cousin and I were sitting in our hotel room, and we couldn’t find any mention of what the WordCamp Toronto hash tag for the event was going to be, and so my cousin, Mark Wood, decided that it should be something like #wcto08. He put out a message on Twitter at 08:13 AM on October 4th, saying “WordCamp Toronto in an hour and a half. Hope to meet some cool people while I am there. #WCTO08”. I then, only a minute later, put out a quick Twitter saying, “WordCamp Toronto hash tag #WCTO08 😛 Deal with it. :)”.

After our messages, people started using the same tag for their Twitters, and other things, until we got to the event, and the organizers let us know that the hash tag should be #wct08. Despite this set back, I continued to push out as many tweets as possible under the one my cousin had created, and when Joseph Thornley took the stage, it only got more complicated as he announced that the hash tag for the event should be #wpto08. We then had three event tags on Twitter, for a single event. It was safe to say that many people were confused, and slightly annoyed.

Questions started circulating if people should just add two or all three tags to their Twitters so that they are easy to find. No one wanted their tweets to be ignored for the event, especially as it was a great bulletin board of communication.

Over time, thanks to my constant messaging on Twitter, and my work at converting others, the #wcto08 hash tag showed up on the trending list, as an event tag that was being used fairly often. The other tags not getting a mention at all, and so over the course of Saturday, messages went out with the #wcto08 tag at a rate of ten to every one message that included the “official” #wct08 tag.

The second day began with the same confusion, as it was stated at the start of the day that we should be using the #wct08 hash tag on Twitter, and ideally on all sites we post WordCamp Toronto content on. It then became apparent that, while we still had many supporters, the #wct08 hash tag might win the day. It quickly appeared on Twitter’s Trending list, and over the course of the day the two fought out for their spot.

Interestingly enough though, my cousin, a few others, and myself continued to use the tag that Mark had come up with, and we were the heavier Twitter users, so by the end of the second, and final day, I think we had created enough messages that the #wcto08 tag was pushed out at around a rate of three or four messages to every one that was tagged as #wct08.

I know this all seems silly, but the issue could have been fixed quite easily. Since the #wcto08 tag was trending higher, and faster, the organizers, instead of sticking to their guns, could have adapted and promoted the more popular tag, so that people didn’t feel the need to tag their messages with both hash tags for the event.

Next time though, I think the tag for the event will be chosen much earlier to avoid such confusion, but for histories sake, I want to say again that my cousin, Mark Wood, selected the Twitter hash tag that became more popular than the official one, at WordCamp Toronto 2008.

Originally posted on October 6, 2008 @ 5:04 pm

Uber Blogs Grow

Recently, I added a new feature to this site, a top list of the blogs about blogging called the Uber Blogs list, and I originally only added around thirty sites. The list, through other people adding their sites has been growing nicely, and is now nearing fifty blogs.

My first thought is how great it is to see the list grow, but also, it makes me wonder how many high quality blogs about blogging are out there? I guess we will see as more blogs continue to submit their sites to be ranked.

Also, for those that have feedback about the Uber Blogs list, please head on over to my contact page, and let me know what you think, or leave a comment on any of the posts about the list.

If you want to add your blog about blogging to the Uber Blog list, just head on over to the list, scroll to the bottom and fill out the form.

Please note: if you blog is not about blogging, writing online, blog management, blog networks, getting a blogging job, please don’t submit your site as it won’t be approved to be listed.

Related Blogs

Originally posted on September 9, 2008 @ 5:53 pm

Follow Up on The Design Critique

For those of you that keep a keen eye on this blog, you might have noticed a post about critiquing this blog over on Blogging Tips.

There were some amazing comments, including an analysis by Kevin Muldoon, Blogging Tips owner, and I feel really humbled by those that chose to participate.

Kevin drew a little flack from coming up with a set of criteria for entry, but I think that he handled it well, and I look forward to seeing which other blogs get put under the magnifying glass.

The biggest tip for this blog was to work on scaling back advertising, which I have already started, and work on moving items around to give the site a better flow. Many people seemed to enjoy the content, as well as the branding, but overall it seemed like there were many things people thought could be done better.

It is very humbling to have people put their opinion out there, and while I am still digesting some of what they said, I am definitely thinking about hunting down a great designer to take my current branding and help me take the design of this site to the next level. Don’t get me wrong, DesignDisease is absolutely amazing, and I will probably contact them first, but I think this site is ready for another slight design shift.

Originally posted on September 2, 2008 @ 9:45 pm

My Top 10 Commentors Thus Far

I wanted to write up a quick shout-out to the great people that have commented on this blog since its inception and since I recently added the My Top Commentators plugin from Daily Blog Tips, it is fairly easy to see who has contributed the most to this blog.

1.) WTL – 62 Comments
2.) Kevin Muldoon – 46 Comments
3.) Mark – 39 Comments
4.) Steven Snell – 26 Comments
5.) Jeffro – 23 Comments
6.) Kiltak – 20 Comments
7.) Bill – 15 Comments
8.) Chris Garrett – 14 Comments
9.) knupNET – 12 Comments
10.) Tay – 12 Comments

If you haven’t visited their sites, I ask that you please take a quick minute and look at them. If you are disappointed you didn’t make this list, and who wouldn’t be (*that was sarcasm*), then start leaving some more relevant comments, and next time I look at my top commentors, I will be able to link to you.

Thanks again to all of you that take the time to voice your opinions on this blog. Without you, there wouldn’t be any reason for me to continue doing what I do here.

Also, note that comment counts and placements are not entirely correct as people have used multiple e-mail addresses when leaving comments here, and the plugin doesn’t take that into account.

Originally posted on August 4, 2008 @ 5:07 pm